Apple Pomegranate Cake
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 8 people
Every Rosh Hashonah we repent for our sins and wish for a happy and healthy New Year. Pomegranates have a symbolic connection as they are supposed to have 613 seeds, which correspond to the number of mitzvot, and they are also a cleansing healthy fruit.
Pomegranates have beneficial effects on heart disease, haemorrhoids, fertility and blood pressure. A single pomegranate provides 40 per cent of an adult's recommended daily allowance of vitamin C, and is a rich source of folic acid and vitamins A and E. One pomegranate also contains three times the antioxidant properties of red wine or green tea.
This cake is perfect for Yom Tov dessert served with ice cream, cream or custard or use at tea time when extra family / friends guests descend!
- 450g eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 pomegranate – remove outer skin and white pith
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil – to grease tin
- 225g self–raising flour
- 150g dark soft brown sugar
- 110g Rakusen’s Tomor margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100ml soya milk / single soya cream (Alpro) / milk
- 2 tablespoons clear honey, warmed slightly
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Garnish: Icing sugar and ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4. Line and lightly oil a deep 18 cm (7 inch) round cake tin with non-stick baking parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating constantly. Stir in the flour, cinnamon, spice, milk / soya milk / cream, baking powder and honey.
- Add to the mixture, mixing thoroughly. Fold in the apples and pomegranate seeds so that the mixture is a soft dropping consistency.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
To serve the stylish way: Dust with icing sugar and ground cinnamon.
Rakusen’s Tomor Margarine
Back to Recipes
Recipe specially created by:
Professional Chef and Cookery Writer